Taking care of legal matters is not fun but a necessity to run a good business. To be compliant with CTIA and TCPA, you need to get consent from your customers. Follow the steps below to make sure you are following the necessary practice.
1. Have an option to receive marketing materials in place
You can add the checkbox in cart for your customers by enabling it under store settings.
- Go to “Settings” that can be found in the lower left side of your admin panel
- Then Checkout
- From there, click on Email marketing
- Check the “Show a sign-up option at checkout” box & select the “Preselect the sign-up option”
- Save these settings
2. Update the verbiage to be able to send out abandoned cart automatizations and campaigns to your subscribers
- Go to “Settings”
- Select “Checkout”
- Find “Checkout language”
- Click on “Manage checkout language”
- Scroll down until you see “Checkout Marketing” section
- For “Accept marketing checkbox label” field and add this text below and save the settings:
“Sign up for exclusive offers and alerts via sms & email.”
3. Add a field in the checkout, where customers can leave their phone number. Customers who aren’t in your TextRight subscriber list won’t be receiving automatizations.
Under Checkout settings, find “Shipping address phone number” and check the “Optional” option and save these settings:
- Scroll down and click “Manage checkout language” under “Checkout language” in the same inner page of settings
- Search for “Phone label”. In these two input fields – add the following text and save the settings:
“Phone Number: For updates about your order and exclusive offers via SMS.”
Go to “Settings” that can be found in the lower left side of your admin panel and then select “Legal”
By signing up for SMS exclusive offers, You agree to receive recurring automated marketing and informational text (e.g., SMS and MMS) messages from this store, including text messages that may be sent using an automatic telephone dialing system, to the mobile telephone number you provided when signing up or any other number that you designate. STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Message and Data rates apply.
5. Update your Checkout footer
- Go to “Online Store” on the left menu, select “Themes”
- Click “Actions”
- Select “Edit Languages” from the dropdown
- In Languages menu, click on the three points and select “Checkout & system” tab
- Find “Checkout shop policies”
I agree to receive recurring automated marketing by SMS through an automatic telephone dialing system. Consent is not a condition to purchase. STOP to cancel, HELP for help. Message and Data rates apply.
6. And you are all set!
Congratulations! Now you are ready to start to collect subscribers for your SMS marketing. See your checkout to make sure all items have been updated!